Watch video from the Senate Democrats’ Jan. 27 press conference on their jobs package.
Archive for January, 2011
Tags: caucus-audio-video, Indiana Senate Democrats, jobs, Senator Simpson, simpson-audio-video
Tags: Indiana Senate Democrats, jobs, Senator Lanane
Tags: Indiana Senate Democrats, Senator Arnold
Tags: Indiana Senate Democrats, jobs, Senator Taylor
Tags: caucus-audio-video, jobs, lanane-audio-video, Real Ideas, Real Jobs, simpson-audio-video, taylor-audio-video
Senate Democrats held a press conference today to call on Republicans today to begin hearing a package of legislative proposals aimed at spurring business activity and creating new jobs in Indiana. Senate Democrat Leader Vi Simpson (D-Ellettsville) and members of the Senate Democratic Caucus say the proposals would improve Indiana’s job market and generate income to support families and communities.
The bills focus on fostering entrepreneurial ventures and leveraging small business investments as well as additional accountability for state funds directed at job creation. Funded through the redirection of existing resources from ineffective programs to those that better serve Indiana’s employers and workers, the proposals require no new state funding or new taxes.
In a memo to Senate Commerce and Economic Development Committee Chair Sen. Michael Young (R-Indianapolis), the Democrats requested that four bills containing these proposals be scheduled for a hearing in the committee.
Included in the “Real Ideas, Real Jobs” package proposed by the Senate Democrats:
- “Small Business Concierge Team” for one-stop service to start-ups and expanding businesses (SB 348)
- Capital Access Fund for entrepreneurs and start-ups (SB 435)
- New hire tax credits for smaller employers (SB 583)
- Redirect job creation funds to successful initiatives (SB 435)
- Give preference in state contracts to companies that use Indiana labor (SB 369)
- Immediately begin work on state infrastructure and university construction projects
Watch video from the press conference
Listen to audio from the press conference
Senate Democrat Leader Vi Simpson’s remarks:
Comments from Senate Democrat Assistant Leader Tim Lanane:
Comments from Senator Greg Taylor, author of SB 583:
Tags: horse racing, Indiana Rural Caucus, Young-Video-Audio
This week Sen. Richard Young (D-Milltown) recorded an audio update from the Senate on a report presented to the Indiana Rural Caucus on the state’s horse racing and breeding industry. The economic impact study was conducted by Purdue University and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
LISTEN to Sen. Young’s update:
Transcript of Sen. Young’s comments:
Members of the Indiana Rural Caucus received a presentation this week on a recent economic impact study conducted by Purdue University and the U.S. Department of Agriculture on the status of horse racing and breeding industry in the State of Indiana. Continue reading ‘Sen. Young discusses economic growth for IN horse racing and small businesses’
Tags: DWD. Indiana Department of Workforce Development, unemployment
The Indiana Dept. of Workforce Development (DWD) announced Tuesday morning that Indiana’s unemployment rate for December 2010 dropped by 0.3 percent to 9.5 percent, down from the November 2010 rate of 9.8 percent. Although Indiana experienced a decrease, the state continues to fall behind the national unemployment rate of 9.4 percent.
- County with the highest unemployment rate: Elkhart 12.8%
- County with the lowest unemployment rates: Daviess 5.3%
Also available from DWD:
- Labor Force Estimates for U.S., Indiana, MSAs, Counties, Cities
- Ranking of Indiana Counties by Unemployment Rate
- Indiana County Map with Unemployment Rates
Job Report (CES)
- Seasonally-Adjusted Employment Table for Indiana
- Non-Seasonally-Adjusted Employment Table for Indiana
- Detail Employment Listing – Statewide & MSAs
Click here for a complete list of the December 2010 unemployment numbers.